Thursday, December 2, 2010

number ONE.

What should we do when we are confronted with other cultures?
When I was a young and an ignorant kid, I acted upon my inherent instincts and created an external barrier to block out new cultures. I rejected my culture, thinking that I was someone who I really wasn't. Like me, a lot of people would react the same way that I had reacted; hiding and fleeing when they see the first sights of unfamiliar and alien lands. However, the big question still remains; why do we reject? Why do we quiver in fear at the thoughts of new experiences? Is it because we are afraid to change? Or is it because we want to change but don't know how to take the first step forward? People have the habit of rejecting because they fear the repercussions and the results of adjusting to the bizarre, outlandish traits they affront when confronting new cultures. Like how a baby, squirming and grimacing his face in disgust, as his mom tries to feed him vegetables. Even at a young and tender age do we have the instinct of rejecting new things. It is inevitable and inherent.


As I grew older I started to open up my impenetrable barrier, slowly and warily as I inspected my new surroundings, gazing upon every inch of new detail that seemed eerie. Instead of appreciating and respecting the culture, I marked it as my enemy. When confronting a new culture, we should confront it with respect and recognition instead of hostility and fear. Instead of rejecting it and shoving it aside, we should invite it into our lives. Instead of putting up defensive walls we should open the door that leads into our hearts, and greet it with a warm smile.




No comments:

Post a Comment